Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Getting-after-it-ness

TRAINING:
Reached high into the air of Asgard to call down the thunder this morning. It's days like this I like to think that the ever-vigilant spirit of Ricky Bruch is smiling upon me with approval.  I only have 3 weeks until my meet so I really want to attack my volume of work for the next two weeks, then back off significantly during the lead-up week.

Today was squat day.  Damn, do I hate squats! They are the worst!  JUST KIDDING SQUATS ARE MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE OMG I LOVE THEM.  Did a 5-4-3 rep scheme today that culminated in a 3RM PR for me.  I was messing around with a wider stance on the earlier sets and my warm-ups which was dumb and could have derailed me pretty badly.  I adjusted back to my "regular" stance to finish up.


I followed this up with:
3x10 barbell lunges @ 135lbs.
then
EMOMx10
odd: Pendlay Row x 5 @ 135lbs.
even: DB Shrugs x 10 @ 50lbs.

Then finished up with some good ol' strongman-style core work:


SCHOOL DAY:
I am WIPED.  Can you believe some of my students had the gall to complain about one single tabata push-up session today? Only 2:40 of ACTUAL WORK? After which they played basket ball?  Kids these days. Rest assured I had zero cares to give to the whiny-pants'. Can't wait to hear all the "sore arm/shoulder/chest" complaints tomorrow (when, miraculously, I will have LESS than zero cares to give to the whiny-pants'!)

FOOTBALL:
I'm seriously worried about the mental/emotional state of the football team.  They just seem kinda lost, going through the motions.  I can count on one hand the number of kids on the team who I would consider "finishers"; kids who follow through on everything, who always give maximal effort, who don't just listen but really HEAR you.  Everyone else just has no get-after-it-ness.  It's like the hustle and grind is beneath them, or annoys them or maybe they just don't understand HOW to do it.  I just wish I was in a better position to do something about it, for the kids' sake.

Thanks for tuning in, see you Thursday night!

1 comment:

  1. Cory, something to consider on the lack of enthusiasm for your football team: either they are exhasted or hungry. "Kids these days" are WAAAAY overscheduled and they absolutely do not eat a)enough food and b)the right kind of food when they do eat.

    ReplyDelete