Thursday, November 1, 2012

On my way back...

So, I'm still sick.  This is in no way the worst cold I've ever had, but it has been close to 14 months since I've caught a bug.  I think this is a pretty good signal that eating right and resting properly do wonders to your immune system, training and exercise notwithstanding.  I really allowed myself to eat pretty poorly during my training for my meet, and I am paying for it now (fortunately, the price is not as steep as it could have been!).  Although I am sick and grumpy, I am glad to have called in sick from school for the week because I am definitely NOT stressed out right now.

Anyway, I decided to forgo my final planned day of deadlifting in favor of some Crossfit.  I feel like this was a prudent choice because I don't think pulling heavy right now will help me recover before Saturday or allow me to pull more weight when it is "go" time.  I really feel like the proverbial hay is in the barn.

Here is what I did:
Three 15 minute sessions (45 minute running clock)
Session 1: 2 miles Airdyne, then build to a 3RM Power Clean.
Session 2: 2 miles Airdyne, then 3 attempts at max unbroken ring dips.
Session 3: 2 miles Airdyne, then build to a 1RM Push Press.


I feel fantastic today (aside from the fact that I can't breathe through my nose).  I'm really glad I did this.  It felt good to do some work in a longer domain and move a barbell around in a bit more dynamic fashion.

I've signed up for a CrossFit competition (Deuces Wild) with one of my favorite clients Bridget (Yes, the same Bridget who won THIS).  I was beginning to worry that my conditioning was straight-up gone, and this workout gave me some confidence that I am further from zero than I had feared.  TJ's Gym will be sending 4 or 5 teams to this competition so I'm sure it will be a super-fun day! I'm especially excited to see Gilly team up with one of my best homeys Evan, as they have both been crushing their training sessions lately.

On a High School Football note: Friday night is the Bell Game.  7pm kickoff at San Rafael High.  This is the best rivalry game in the county, and the closest thing to a slice of middle-americana that Marin ever sees and I think a lot of people miss it every year.  Grab the kids and a few parkas, and come support local high school sports.  Who knows, a legitimately well-played football game just might break out!

I'm planning on taking TONS of video at the meet this weekend: Of me, of my home boy JBann, and some of the luminaries of American Powerlifting who are projected to hit some really crazy big lifts.  Should be fun!  See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment